The thirteenth UK Shelter Forum was hosted by the Centre for Urban Sustainability and Resilience at University College London on Friday 20th September 2013. The morning included presentations on different topics, while discussions continued in the afternoon in smaller breakout groups. You can download the agenda for the event here and a briefing note is available here. The UK Shelter Forum was preceded by a PechaKucha evening bringing together researchers and practitioners to discuss shelter, settlements and disasters. Posters and videos from this event are available here.
Urban Humanitarian Response
- Jo da Silva, Arup: Urban Challenges
- Seki Hirano, CRS: Work with the city
- Amelia Rule, BRC: Participatory approach to safe shelter awareness (PASSA)
- Jim Kennedy, independent: Strategising rubble removal
Shelter and Recovery
- Jim Kennedy, independent: Shelter, Recovery and Reconstruction
- Richard Luff, independent: Transition between relief and development – are subsidies an impediment to recovery?
Measuring outcomes and impact
- Jo da Silva, Arup: ASPIRE
- Jelly Moring, BHSF: Looking back at reconstruction and disaster risk reduction in housing
- Oyvind Nordlie, UN-Habitat: Shelter and Settlement Impact Evaluation Tool (SSIET)
- Simone van Dijk, Netherlands Red Cross, TU/e: A socio-economic Impact Assessment Tool for post-disaster temporary housing solutions
Several updates were also provided
- Ram Kishan, Christian Aid: India Shelter in Emergencies Forum
- Ram also shared SaferWorld Communications report into the Uttarakhand Floods
- Bill Flinn, CENDEP: Building for Safety
- Jamie Richardson, Shelter Consultants: Timber Frame Research Project
- Jelly Moring, BHSF, invited UK Shelter Forum participants to the Looking Back at Reconstruction Conference, to be held in Coventry, 15-16 January 2014.
Download a briefing note summarising key discussions at the Forum here.